"Ephemeral wretch, begotten by accident and toil, why do you force me to tell you what it would be your greatest boon not to hear? What would be best for you is quite beyond your reach: not to have been born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best is to die soon."

Sunday, July 27, 2008

It seems I've stumbled upon a forum...

I am Silenus, son of Pan, tutor of Dionysus - I ride an ass because I am too drunk to walk. But I am only just drunk enough to write, and on that note I begin, the note of intoxication. Unfortunately, my present situation is such that only liquor will intoxicate me (although in this present state any intoxicant is a weapon to be wielded against vulgarity, liberal values, and general American mediocrity).

Ass as my steed, bottle in one hand and pen in the other, I approach the gilded gates of American culture a rebel, an insurgent, an enemy combatant, General Sherman burning one book club at a time, all with a riotous, uproarious euphoria. For two thousand years I've stumbled drunkenly in and out of human affairs. No longer will I tolerate such ephemeral relevance, ephemeral wretches! I am a meandering, directionless demigod of decadence, a termite laying feast to the Constitution.

My goal: my rightful place in the American Pantheon, a celebration of Dionysus from sea to shining sea, an emergence of an American paganism!

No comments: